Bust of J. C. Stevenson

Bust of J. C. Stevenson at South Shields Museum, South Shields, Tyne & Wear

James Cochran Stevenson (1825-1905) reopened the museum on it’s new first floor location in August 1898, where it remained until the library moved out of the building in 1976. Stevenson was a prominent public figure, being a former mayor of South Shields, chairman of the Tyne Improvement Commissioners and MP for South Shields from 1868 until 1895.